Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Passing

To all of you who have been reading my blog for awhile and might be interested to know, Clarence Fitzgerald II, my pet potatoe, has passed on at last.
For the last several days there's been an odd smell near my bed that I couldn't quite place. It suddenly occured to me this afternoon to check out Clarence (who lived and died right next to my head) and sure enough, he was dripping potatoe rot.
He had a dignified burial, and will be much missed by all. As a tribute and kind of obituary, I have written Clarence a poem:

Proudly sits the potatoe
in dignified repose
watching contentedly from his corner
as the world comes and goes
sometimes he hums a little tune
to keep himself amused
but mostly he just sits and stares
and sometimes spouts bits of philosophy
as all good potatoes do.

To Clarence Fitzgerald; a better potatoe I never knew.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tobie said...

Potato looks silly with an 'e' at the end.

Not to mock or disrespect your loss, of course. Clarence shall be moderately missed and not immediately, but eventually, forgotten.

2:02 AM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

She is using the Dan Quayle girsa

7:00 AM  
Blogger Nemo said...

Damn, and we can't even make him into chips.

7:13 AM  
Blogger Miri said...

I would like to thank you all for your heartfelt and sympathetic condolences. (note the hint of sarcasm, please.) such is the just remembrance of a fine and noble pet.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Avi said...

You had a pet potato?
You had a pet potato...
You had a pet potato!

Belated health tip:
I have a pet potato,
I keep him outta sight,
and when he dries and withers
that tater I won't bite. (Right?)


T.N.T.B.H.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Miri said...

avi-
I did in fact have a pet potatoe. what does T.N.T.B.H. mean?

10:34 AM  
Blogger Tobie said...

Tehei Nafsho Tzror B'Tzror Hachayim, I think.

Do potatoes have nefeshes?

2:19 PM  
Blogger Miri said...

Tobie-
according to chassidut, everything has a nefesh.

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home