Wednesday, March 07, 2007

ad dlo yadah

so, there's a lot of stuff on the blogosphere about Purim and general drunkeness this week. and I want to say something too but I'm still not sure exactly what. it's all too vague.... but there's definitely something about that place where perception gets hazy and happy, where it's easy to talk to people bc the things inside you that always hold you back are suddenly gone, and you think "why not? why the hell not?" and I'm the first to admit that excess alcohol can turn messy and ugly pretty quick. it isn't, by any means, always pleasant for more than just the individual involved. but there is stuff about it....there is stuff of beauty and truth embedded somewhere in the land of the drunk people, (or people otherwise stimulated) that normally stimulated people don't see. and I personally have made an art form out of getting high on life. or, well, too little sleep and too much coffee, which, trust me, is not totally dissimilar to highs of other kinds. but there is a difference. there is. I just don't know that it's worthwhile defending it....I get so annoyed with all the denigration bc I do think G-d wants us to get drunk sometimes. I think that He wants us to see the world that way sometimes. maybe it's my naivete that still leads me to think that there are deeper dimensions in everything, that everything really does serve some more layered and more interconnected purpose, that everything has a something more if you just look close enough, are open to more possibilities.

anyway, I don't know. I'll end with a pleasant drunk-boy story. I went into Yerushalayim for a seudah in Har Nof with my adopted family, and in the middle of the meal a boy who no one, as it turned out, actually knew, knocked on the door and greeted, and was greeted by, the baal haboss as old friends do. he was invited in, he sat for a bit...couldn't have been more than sixteen, was probably aaround fourteen; very clearly drunk, falling off his chair etc. but all he asked for was some singing, a dvar Torah, and at one point insisted on dancing even though he could barely stand. "rikud rikud! chayevim rikud!" ("a dance a dance! we need to dance!") it was cute. we were all amused. he went off on his way soon enough; I just thought it was cool to see someone that drunk still intent on fulfilling the spirit, not just the letter, of the laws of Purim.

13 Comments:

Blogger Avi said...

Nichnas yayin yatza sod is a a fact, not a saying.

When one has something to share but feels inhibited on a regular day, a shot or two would help him get it out. When one shares too much, everyday, becoming drunk will only make it worse.

7:24 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

there is stuff of beauty and truth embedded somewhere in the land of the drunk people

This reminds me of an old post, and a quote from it...

Oscar Wilde said - “After the first glass, you see things as you wish they were. After the second, you see things as they are not. Finally, you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible thing in the world.”

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

avi-
I did not mean to imply that I think people should get drunk every day. I meant I think people should get drunk once in awhile. like, once or twice a year, maybe. this is not a new concept.

2:15 AM  
Blogger Miri said...

sorry, that was me.

e-kvetcher-
are you sure it's not kosher? I'm pretty sure I've seen that stuff around...although, ignoramus that I am, it never occuured to me that it was anything other than good vodka. go figure.
as to truth and beauty...I really do think it's there, but it gets dificult to see when the ugly side of drunkeness turns up.

2:17 AM  
Blogger Avi said...

Got that. And my point is: those who shouldn't be drunk should never be drunk, and those who can sometimes, should sometimes.

11:44 AM  
Blogger Miri said...

ok. fair enough.

3:32 PM  
Blogger e-kvetcher said...

Miri, I don't think you've seen absinthe around. It is a very vivid green in color, and it is pretty much impossible to mistake it for vodka :)

7:58 AM  
Blogger Miri said...

mmm, must have been something else then, only it was most definitely called Absinthe. and it was clear.

3:35 PM  
Blogger Pragmatician said...

I guess there is some truth, and theoretically if someone gets drunk and takes a nice nap right after instead o parading in the streets it wouldn't be so bad.

1:57 AM  
Blogger Nemo said...

So is this only a Purim thing or should we 'draw the spirit of Purim through the year' kinda thing and start some new binge drinking crew?

Sorry I couldn't take this seriously, it's just that serious commenting isn't in the Adar spirit. However, I must say that I really enjoyed this post and envy your little stranger-friend for his authenticity.

6:59 AM  
Blogger Miri said...

pragmatician
if we slept right through it then what would be the point?

nemo
as I mentioned in the comment strain on Shtreimel's blog, weed would be a lot more effective in terms of a long-term deal then alcohol. also, less destructive.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Nemo said...

Um, and more expensive, high risk of getting busted, and more prone to attract strangers.

5:36 AM  
Blogger Miri said...

as to getting busted, I'm pretty sure it's easy enough to avoid if you're careful. and as to attracting strangers, really not so sure that that happens more with weed than alcohol...

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home