Sunday, August 20, 2006

Post-War

so apparently, the war went somewhere.
over Shabbat, walking to shul with a former teacher, I was surprised to hear her refer to the war as over. in explanation to the pile of Israli flags on her lawn, she told us of her daughter and daughter's friend who'd gone to the Tzomet to sell flags for ppl in the North. when asked were they successful she said "they might have been more succesful a week ago. you know, before the war was over." It was the first time I 'd heard the war was officially through, and it came as a shock to my system. you kow how it is when you've been praying so hard for so long for something and then you get it? and you're suddenly not sure at all if it was the right thing?
I mean, we didn't exactly win this war. we don't have the soldiers back. nobody's even pretending to disarm Hizbullah. nothing of substance was much acomplished. Tobie says "we failed to lose," which she explained by saying "you know if you lose; we'd all be dead. that's the good thing abt Israeli wars, you always know if you lost."
which leaves me with what to say to G-d now? "I'm glad there aren't any bombings, thanks for that, but....." what?

2 Comments:

Blogger Miri said...

when the war stopped, honey, you were probably in the den. unless you were sleeping or on the computer.

4:32 AM  
Blogger Miri said...

(we love you anyway; I wasn't doing anything particulalry auspicious, and I live in the country, and I still didn't know until after the fact.)

4:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home