Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Post-Aliyah

so here's the thing; I've been waiting for years to make aliyah and come to israel as an official citizen. and you get all this flak, from family members and friends, for various reasons, abt why or when you should or shouldn't go. and then a war starts and people are really on you abt not going, or postponing until "things quiet down a bit." and then you get there. and I don't mean to say it's a let-down, bc it's not. it's life. and life is what I came for, not fireworks and acrobats. but I feel like I ought to have something profound to say now that I'm here, and I don't. I'm just sitting around, waiting to get things done and for stuff to start and people to come, feeling guilty that I'm not doing more to help out. I would go up north and volunteer, but my parents are nervous enough as it is. I've already given money, and considered giving clothing. I'm not sure I'm capable of giving blood at the moment.
and I want to be able to tell you guys over in America something about being an oleh at this point in history. but the truth is, aside from my teudat oleh and new teudat zehut, I'm not really any different, at the moment, than any other American tourist, here for a summer program. which is kind of depressing until you realize "why the hell should I have anything profound to say, anyway? I'm just a kid!" but I guess we always need to feel we have something profound to say. that's what blogging's all abt right?
may G-d protect all of our soldiers, and all of our people everywhere, within and without the line of fire, and may He bring us peace in which to serve Him and fulfill His will to the utmost. oh, and Moshiach would be good, too. Amen.

3 Comments:

Blogger e-kvetcher said...

Time to change the location in your Blogger profile?

5:16 PM  
Blogger Tobie said...

Wow. Now that's something to look forward too. Don't worry- profound things are over-rated.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Miri said...

don't worry tobie - you'll be busy theminute you get off the plane.

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home